The mountain rescue in Poland and Slovakia is provided by the Mountain Rescue Service organizations:
1. In Poland there are the Mountain Volunteer Search and Rescue (Górskie Ochotnicze Pogotowie Ratunkowe - GOPR) and the Tatra Mountains Volunteer Search and Rescue (Tatrzańskie Ochotnicze Pogotowie Ratunkowe – TOPR).
EMERGENCY NUMBER: +48 601 100 300
2. In Slovakia it is The Mountain Rescue Service (Horská záchranná služba – HZS).
EMERGENCY NUMBER: 18 300
Poland: You don't have to buy any special insurance at the moment.
Slovakia: You are obliged to buy special mountain insurance policy. Otherwise you will have to cover the costs of your rescue while accident.
Where to buy the policy?
1. Alpenverein, Euro26 Sport are honoured.
2. Some commercial insurances offer the insurance. You may buy it in the office, online or via sms.
3. At the branches of the Mountain Rescue Service. The main office is located in the center of Stary Smokovec (opening hours from 7 AM).
4. Some hotels and Tourist Information Centers provide assistance in buying the policy.
5. At the ticket offices for example to the Slovak Paradise. It is not included in the ticket price, you buy it additionally.